Tuesday 11 August 2015

Munching in Saigon

Vietnam is known for its Pho which is flavorful beef soup noodles.
When I came to Saigon 2 years ago, I usually had Pho or Bahn Mi or Prawn roll only. Kaya when I came back, sabi ng boyfriend ko, I have to try other dishes, which I bravely did. 

I want to list down the restaurants I've been to to refer it to my friends, and to not forget them :) 

1. Pho 2000
01 - 03 Phan Chu Trinh St., District 1 Ho Chi MInh

It is next to Ben Than market, on top of Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
This was my 1st dinner in Vietnam and what's the best to have?
None other than Pho Bo or the Beef Noodle Soup.

Well, I think it's fine. Nothing special though :)

Pho Bo (VND 67k) 

2. Pho Quynh Restaurant    
293 B, Tran Hung Dao, Phuong Go Giang, District 1 Ho Chi MInh

Ito ang tumatak sa akin the last time I came to Saigon.
It was near our hotel in Pham Ngu Lao. The receptionist told us it's famous to the locals.
We gave it a try and became our standard on the best Pho.

I visited it again this time. Love their generosity on veggies.
And I had a realization, it's just like the one in Pho 2000 pala.  hehe

Pho Bo (VND 60k)

3. Nha Hang Ngon
160 Pasteur, Ben Nghe District 1, Thanh Pho, Ho Chi Minh

I was so lucky that night that I got to see this restaurant.
Dahil nga sabi ng boyfriend ko na kumain ako ng iba bukod sa Pho, nagsearch ako online ano pa ang ibang sikat na pagkain sa Vietnam at nabasa ko na must eat ang Bun Thit Nuong. Ito ay grilled pork na may noodles at herbs.

Habang naglalakad at naghahanap ng restaurant, napadaan ako Pasteur Street at mukang may high end restaurant.. Mmm, may budget naman ang office sa dinner e. hahaha Why not give this a try.
The place is jam-packed. I was there at around 730pm. Luckily, I managed to get a seat instantly. After 10mins, dumating ang mga tour groups at ibang walk-in diners. Buti nalang!

The place is nice. It's really nice. Too bad I was not able to take a nice photo.

Pagkaupo ko, hindi na ako nahirapan mag isip pa ng kung anong kakainin ko. But when I ordered for the Bun Thit Nuong, it's not available. The waiter told me to try Bun Cha Gio rather, so I did.


Bun Cha Gio - VND 62k ONLY!
Vermicelli & fried pork and crab spring rolls served with fresh herbs and fish sauce. 

Why did I highlight on the "ONLY"?. Because it is so cheap for this kind of food and serving and service and ambiance. Panalo tong restaurant na to! 

I also tried their Tom Xien Nuong or Griller Shrimp - VND 43k and Che Suong Sa Hot Luu - VND 30k
Che Suong Sa Hot Luu is a kind desert / drink which is jelly, water chestnut - Tapioca Pearls & Coconut Milk. In short, parang Halo halo sa atin.

4. Quan Bui
    8 Nguyen Van Nguyen, Tan Dinh 1 , Ho Chi Minh


This restaurant was recommended by one of my agents.
I wanted to try anything grilled but they don't serve it for lunch so I just had soup.

Canh sau suon non - VND 119k
Tangy soup with "trai sau" and pork ribs
Para siyang sinigang sa atin pero mas masarap pa din ang sinigang. hehe
I think this place is a bit pricey.

5. I.D. Cafe
   34D Thu Khoa Huan Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh

At long last, I will be able to try the famous Bun Thit Nuong!
I was expecting the pork to be served hot but to my disappointment.

Anyway, the food is generally nice with the fish sauce :)
(I just wish the pork was hot)

Bun Thit Nuong - VND 70k

6. Runam Bistro 
    202 Pasteur District 3, Ho Chi Minh

This is a recommendation of one of my agents again.
He told me that it's nice to have a meeting here so I checked it our.
I saw it in Tripadvisor and this roasted pork belly is just so appetizing at mukang may class. Maitry nga. haha (social climber mode: ON)

Roasted Pork - VND 210k
This is my own photo of the food :)
took 30 mins to be served (I was advised though) 
I was awed when they served my plate.
I love the plating the the textures of the other things beside the pork
Actually, I got a bit disappointed with the pork crackling / skin. It was not that crunchy that I expected. It taste like an ordinary chinese recipe. (Hindi po ako food expert, personal insights lang)

I was not able to finish it :(
Pero ang sarap tumambay at matulala lang.

outdoor area
sat here but it was just too hot. transferred to indoor. hehe
outdoor area on the 2nd floor
Indoor where I sat. I want to go back there. :) 
7. Huynh Hoa
    26 Le Thi Rieng, Ben Than 1, Ho Chi Minh

When I was on my way to the grocery to buy pasalubong, I passed by this shop and there's a lot of people queuing so I got curious and join the que. This is one of the times that I appreciate travelling alone. I get to go wherever I want to and stop whenever I need to.
I just had Bahn Mi the other day but might as well try this. Long Que = it must be good :)

joining the bandwagon, blindly. hehe
keeping the baguette hot and crunchy
preparing the Bahn Mi - VND 35k [or 30k, i'm not sure :( ]
Too bad I didn't able to take a photo of the Bahn Mi.
It's expensive for a Bahn Mi but it has a lot of meat and stuff inside. Personally, I still prefer the Bahn Mi with the roasted pork. But their baguette is such a fun. One bite and I think the person beside you will hear it's crunch :)

8. Puoc Thanh Bakery
    
183 An Duong Vuong, P8, Q5, Ho Chi Minh

It's just beside my agent's office so while I was having meeting, my mind is slowly drifting away. haha Amoy bakery sa loob ng office.



Bahn Mi - VND 17k




The Bahn Mi is nice but I was looking for that roasted pork type taste.
Too good and generous for its price though:)

9. Bahn Mi 37
   37 Nguyen Trai , Ho Chi Minh

Nagtanong ako a hotel receptionist kung saan ang famous Bahn Mi at itunuro niya nga itong Bahn Mi 37. Actually, wala siyang binigay na pangalan. Binigyan lang niya ako ng direction at nasa loob daw ito ng isang alley. He was not even sure if the number is 37 or 39.
So when I was walking, I keep on checking evry alley if there's a que for Bahn Mi and there I got it, its an alley near Pedro shop.

It's the stall further end where a man wearing a white shirt stands
One of the famous  Bahn Mi stalls

now you know why there's a long que?
She patiently grills all the patties and a Banh Mi has 4 or 5 patties inside. It costs VND 17k.
So that explains why there's a long que here. hehe
But I think the Bahn Mi with the roasted pork / pork crackling is still the best.

And speaking of Bahn mi, naalala ko iyong nabasa ko online. Apparently I was able to locate and try the 2 of the "best" Bahn Mi in Ho Chi Minh (No. 7 and 9).

Panghuli, sabi nga  nila, eat where the locals eat and do what the locals do.
And I also did my assignment!

This gave me a joy and capped off my night.
I was wearing my smile through out the ride.
Bragging right that I was able to join the motor traffic in Ho Chi Minh. Yohoo!
Pat on the shoulder for me.

Motor taxi - VND 30k but gave him 40k anyway. He gave me a lot of smiles :) 

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
July 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment